When you’ve lost a tooth, you have several problems. It can be more difficult to eat without all of your teeth, and some foods like chips could hurt your gums when it hits that empty space. You can easily be embarrassed about your smile because of the big space in it. Plus, your jawbone can start to deteriorate.
There are several ways you can replace your missing tooth at our Tulsa, OK dental office. One popular choice is the dental implant. This features a natural-looking replacement tooth (a dental crown, actually) connected to a titanium root surgically placed in your jawbone. It’s as close to regrowing a new tooth as you can get. Here are six ways getting dental implants can save your smile and jaw.
- The replacement tooth held in place by the dental implant will look great in your smile. Many years ago, tooth replacements often included unsightly metal. Fillings and similar work added metal to your mouth, which does not look natural. Every time you open your mouth, people could see bright metal. With dental implants, the replacement tooth is actually a dental crown. These are made out of a material that looks and feels like your natural teeth. They can even be colored to match the shade of your natural teeth. When you have dental implants in place, they’re almost impossible to notice as not your real teeth.
- The dental implant can help the rest of your smile stay put. All of your teeth support each other. They don’t slowly move side to side because the other teeth are in the way. When one or more of your teeth go missing, that support is suddenly gone. Your teeth can start to slide toward the gap, making your while smile look crooked. Dental implants stop that. By replacing both the tooth and root, you give stability to your smile. The teeth can stay where they belong, keeping your whole smile intact.
- Your smile and your face can look years younger thanks to the replacement tooth. When you were young, there’s a good chance your smile looked better. That’s because your teeth can collect damage and stains the older you get. It’s just like how a newer car tends to look better than an older one. Dental implants are made to look like healthy teeth. When you get one or more, your smile as a whole looks better. That can make your smile, and your face, look years younger.
- You don’t have to do anything different to keep your dental implant looking good for a long time. Some dental treatments require special care to keep them looking good. Teeth whitening usually needs touch-ups every few years. Braces need special cleaners and a restricted diet. With dental implants, that is not the case. These mimic your natural teeth right down to the care needed. All you need to do is brush and floss like normal to help your dental implant look great for many years to come.
- Dental implants can last 20 years or more. Nothing lasts forever. Even the best tools in your garage will need to be replaced or upgraded eventually. The same is true for restorative dentistry. Replacing missing teeth with partial dentures or dental bridges usually lasts around 10 years. Dental implants, however, are designed to last 20 years or more. That depends on how well you clean your teeth and stay healthy, of course. It can still be comforting to know that you won’t have to worry about a dental implant for a couple of decades.
- Your jawbone can avoid deterioration thanks to the implanted root. All of your teeth have roots that extend down into your jawbone. When you bite down, pressure travels down the roots and stimulates the bone tissue. This keeps your jawbone healthy and strong. That means your jawbone will start to deteriorate when a tooth (and its root) goes missing. Dental implants use an artificial root. This stimulates your bone tissue, helping your jawbone to stay healthy.
Dental implants work for you in many ways. They will make your smile look great, help you chew normally again, and even help keep your jawbone healthy. Call us today at 918-925-9687 for dental implants in Tulsa, OK.