Our Tulsa dental office serves patients of all ages and dental issues. That’s because we have the training and expertise to provide you with dental care under one roof. When someone comes to our office, we want them to feel comfortable and have the care they need. We don’t want the patients to drive all across town to fix their teeth.
At Masterpiece Smiles, we’re a one-stop shop. Whether it’s preventive or advanced restorative treatment, we can help your smile. Beyond treatments, one of the most important things a dentist can do is to educate their patients. A dentist can steer you toward great dental office and keep you away from poor dental advice. Today I want to highlight 5 dental myths that you need to stay away from.
Maybe you’ve read a few of these myths before. Whatever the case, if you are in doubt, it’s best to call our office at 918-925-9687 or ask me during your regular cleanings.
Here are a few myths that are bad for your smile:
- Dentures are as good as natural teeth. MYTH. This is an unfortunate myth that many people do not find out until they lose their teeth. To put it simply, your natural teeth are your best teeth. Nothing in dentistry can match the power of natural teeth. Dentures are popular non-fixed tooth replacement options. They can look lifelike. Dentures can match the power of natural teeth only by 25 to 50 percent. That’s hardly as good as your natural teeth. Today we can secure dentures and replace single teeth with dental implants, but dental implants match the power of natural teeth by about 90 percent.
- Bleeding or swollen gums are normal. MYTH. Your teeth and gums shouldn’t hurt, bleed, or be swollen. Having bleeding or swollen gums is a serious problem that starts small, but can quickly become a major problem. These are the first signs of gum disease. Gum disease is the number cause of tooth loss in adults and linked to deadly overall health problems like heart disease and diabetes.
- My teeth are fine because they do not hurt. MYTH Tender teeth or tooth pain are two signs of dental decay, but they are hardly the only sign of problems. You can have dental decay or even gum disease without having any pain. And even worse, if you do wait until the problem is painful, you may have serious root problems that require extensive dental work. Your Tulsa OK dentist can examine your mouth for early signs of gum disease and tooth decay. Addressing your problems early can reduce the risk of serious dental issues down the road.
- I don’t need to floss. MYTH. Any good dentist will tell you the best way to maintain a healthy mouth is to brush and floss your teeth every day. And yet, not everyone follows that advice. Floss is not optional if you want to keep all of your teeth. Here’s a fact to consider the next time you want to skip flossing: about 35 percent of the tooth is beneath the gums. That means brushing only cleans about 65 percent of your tooth.
- Sleep apnea is only loud snoring. MYTH. A common sign of sleep apnea is snoring. But the fact is that not all people with sleep apnea snore. And unfortunately, sleep apnea is about much more than loud snoring. Sleep apnea occurs when there are long pauses in breathing. Patients with severe sleep apnea can wake up gasping for air as much as 30 times a night. Sleep apnea can be fatal, and it can also increase your risk of serious problems like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and obesity.
These are just five dental myths that you need to avoid. I hate seeing my patients fall down the rabbit hole of bad advice. At Masterpiece Smiles, we work to provide every patient with the best possible care, from general to restorative care. You can call our office today at 918-925-9687.